Friday, May 24, 2013

Book Thirteen: THE ROAD

The Road, by Cormac McCarthy, published by Random House, 2007.


   

TTR: I read this in about two hours. I could not put it down. In fact, I got a phone call in the middle of reading and it jarred me so badly that I was probably rude to the caller (sorry, mom).

Comments: Aside from the fact that I kept expecting zombies and getting cannibals, I both loved and hated the book. Hurray for my inability to decide, right? The world McCarthy created was so alive for me, which is ironic considering that it is a dead world in this book. The simplicity of the dialogue and plot were poignant.

I *may* have cried at certain heart-rending parts. Ehem.

The ending, though, seemed to undermine itself. It presents a hope that cannot exist in the world McCarthy creates. I also felt very suspicious about the family that adopts the boy at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment